87 Station Road Foster, Victoria, 3960 sghosp@sghs.com.au
Visiting hours 9.30am-11.30am and
5.00pm-7.00pm daily
10.00am to 1.00pm Weekends
(from 6 July 2020)
Note:There will be screening of ALL visitors for COVID19
(please see details under the “Patient” tab below).

Consumer Information

Staffing – Nurse/Midwife to patient ratios – 2020

South Gippsland Hospital provides inpatient care in a 16 bed acute mixed ward.

During our theatre upgrade for the period 1 February to June 2020, the ward will have a maximum capacity of 14.

 

We provide care for patients who need to stay overnight and for those requiring treatment on a day-stay only basis:

  • with medical and surgical conditions (up to 12 allocated beds)
    • within the Transition Care Program (2 allocated beds)
    • to birth their baby within our Level 3 Maternity Service capabilities (1 birthing suite), and
    • requiring postnatal care (after the birth of their baby) (1 allocated bed)

 

In compliance with the Safe Patient Care (Nurse to Patient and Midwife to Patient Ratios) Amendment Act 2019 (the Act), we roster nurses according to the following ratios:

Morning Shift (7.00am – 3.30pm)
1 nurse: 6 patients for general medical/surgical/TCP patients
1 midwife: 4 patients for postnatal maternity care
1 midwife: 1 patient for intrapartum maternity care (active labour)

 

Afternoon Shift (2.30pm – 11.00pm)
1 nurse: 7 for general medical/surgical/TCP patients
1 midwife: 4 patients for postnatal maternity care
1 midwife: 1 patient for intrapartum maternity care (active labour)

 

Night Shift (10.45pm – 7.15am)
1 nurse: 10 patients for general medical/surgical/TCP patients
1 midwife: 6 patients for postnatal maternity care
1 midwife: 1 patient for intrapartum maternity care (active labour)

 

This staffing includes cover for each of the clinical areas listed above as required to comply with Level 4 hospital staff ratios.

There is an on-call arrangement to ensure compliance with the Act at all times.

Based on analysis of occupancy for the financial year 2019-20, and the occupancy for the period 1 July to 31 December 2019, the expected occupancy of the acute mixed ward is 61% (of a 16 bed ward) for the period 1 March 2020 to 31 August 2020.

Please note that for the period 1 July to 31 December 2019, 90% of the acute mixed ward was occupied by general medical/surgical patients, with the remaining 10% being occupied by maternity  patients.

 

Updated 18 February 2020